Lyneea is driven by her curiosity
|First appearance||(1.2 "I, E.T.")|
|Last appearance||(1.2 "I, E.T.")|
|Known Family||Fostro (son)|
|Portrayed by||Mary Mara|
Lyneea was a Denean scientist who specialized in the search for extraterrestrial life. She lived in an isolated, rural home with her son Fostro. She was the second Denean to have face to face contact with the human John Crichton, an event that shocked, frightened, and excited her.
Lyneea's fascination with space and the possibility of alien life extended back to her childhood and her first telescope, so when she first encountered John, her alarm quickly changed to fascination and interest. She was surprised to see that he was so much like her species. John's endearing visit likely helped him when the military arrived and Lyneea chose to hide his presence from her associate, Commander Ryymax. Her gesture would later be rewarded when she and Crichton were able to use her equipment to make contact with Pilot on Moya. Seeing Pilot brought Lyneea to a new level of awe, as her preconceived idea of an alien was more closely presented.
When Crichton's shipmate Ka D'Argo was captured by the military, Lyneea learned the truth about Crichton and his people: they were escaped prisoners. Though she didn't want anything more to do with them after this revelation, Crichton convinced her to help them escape. Using the transmission from Pilot, Lyneea told Ryymax that the signal had come from the opposite direction of their crashed ship. With most of the unit departed, Crichton was able to ambush the guards watching D'Argo and free him.
With them free to go, Lyneea said good bye to D'Argo and Crichton, receiving a kiss on the cheek from the latter, something she apparently enjoyed.
- I'm talking to an alien? You're an alien and I'm talking to you? In my kitchen?
- (On her search for E.T.s): Since I was Fostro's age. My parents bought me a telescope. I used to look up at the stars at night and dream about this moment.
- Walking, talking evidence of extraterrestrial life? Yeah - I'd say my funding would be pretty much set for life.
- (To John): You've altered the perceptions and beliefs of an entire planet.
- (After John Kisses her): That's how your people say good-bye?
- (To Fostro): You are the luckiest 9-year old around. Someday you are going to have a very singular story to tell. Can't talk for a long time of course but... someday.
- Along with Nick Tate, Mary Mara is one of the only two Farscape actors to have appeared in the Star Trek franchise.
- (1.02 "I, E.T.")